Your skin is your body’s largest organ and absorbs everything you put onto it. You want to be just as cautious of the things you put on your body, as you do the things you put in your body.
When you are beginning to look at your personal care products, deodorant is a great place to start. Not only do you use it daily but you have lymph nodes in your armpits, so making sure to not put toxic products onto that area is key for your health.
Selecting a non toxic deodorant that actually works has taken me many years. I have tried many different ones and opted to skip others, because they aren’t convenient, often coming as a paste that you apply with your hand.
About 6 months ago I finally found one that works, doesn’t stain my clothes and is made with amazing ingredients: Primally Pure.
**They are giving you 10% off with your purchase using the code embracewellness10
Primally Pure is a woman owned small batch company that makes non toxic skin care products. I will share more on their other products another day, but let’s talk a bit more about what makes their deodorant different.
Most deodorants are actually antiperspirants intended to block sweat. This is made possible by including aluminum as an ingredient. There are a lot of opinions on the risks of aluminum, including increasing the risk of cancer, being associated with alzheimers and heavy metal toxicity, to name a few.
Regardless of the validity, your body is meant to sweat as part of natural detox, so it’s not ideal to prevent that.
While this is becoming more mainstream knowledge, many companies are coming out with Aluminum free products, but there are many other ingredients often included you also want to avoid.
Other ingredients to avoid include:
- Parabens (extends shelf life) – endocrine and hormone disruptors, found in 99% of breast cancer tissue
- Propylene glycol (fragrance, skin conditioner, absorption enhancer) – organ toxicity skin irritant
- Benzyl Salicylate (fragrance, UV absorber) – linked to endocrine disruption, weakened immune system and skin allergies
- Triclosan (antibacterial and preservative) – liver toxicity and thyroid dysfunction
- Phthalates (helps products adhere to skin) – endocrine disruptor and linked to permanent birth defects
- Formaldehyde contaminated synthetics – known as carcinogenic
- Fragrance – cocktail of chemicals (as many as 3,000!) creating skin sensitivities and irritations; doesn’t have to be disclosed on label
**Even other products that claim to be non toxic, often have fragrance in them.
Primally Pure’s Approach
Arrowroot: moisture absorbing, soothes skin
Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil: anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, protects against odor and helps hydrate
Tallow from Grass-Fed Cows: antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, healing
Organic Beeswax: antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antiallergenic, antibacterial, seals in moisture, helps with hydration and skin healing
Baking Soda: odor fighting and moisture absorbing
Non-Nano Zinc Oxide: anti-bacterial, antiseptic and astringent properties that combat bacteria, reduce odor and protect the skin barrier
White Kaolin Clay: detoxifying properties to pull out toxins and purify the skin, balance oil production and absorb excess moisture
Additionally Primally Pure,
- Skips the parabens to preserve shelf life and encourages use within 6 months
- Uses essential oils instead of fragrance
In full disclosure, this is one of the more expensive ones I have tried. It truly is the best though. The charcoal is my favorite and my husband even uses it! I wanted to use it all summer long to confirm how well it worked in the hottest time of the year before I recommended it to you. I truly only recommend products that I love and use myself. It doesn’t stain clothes, actually works and you only need 1-2 swipes, so lasts a long time. And if you use the code embracewellness10 you get 10% off!
- Let it warm on your skin for a second before swiping
- Use very little, 1-2 swipes or dabs
- Don’t use right after shaving
- Be patient at first as your body will likely need to detox the environmental toxins out and you may sweat more than normal. Keep it up for a few weeks before giving up!
Here is a great article on skin irritation when using natural deodorant.
Don’t forget to grab yours here and use code embracewellness10 for 10% off.
**This post was done in collaboration with Primary Pure. I do also complete my own testing of products and research before EVER recommending a product or collaboration with a company.
**Some of these links may be affiliate links. Embrace Wellness LLC is a participant in various affiliate programs designed to provide a means to earn advertising fees by linking to products they trust and recommend. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same and in some cases less, but Embrace Wellness may receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us maintain this work!