Who has time to be sick? Not me!
For the watchers, instead of the readers:
For the readers, instead of the watchers:
I have mentioned my family tries to live a holistically minded lifestyle. What that means to me regarding illness is we try our best to take care of our bodies to avoid frequent illness. If we end up with illness, which will happen, we will once again turn to focus on what our body needs. We will use medication if needed, but definitely will try other more natural things first.
Today I wanted to pop in and share with you our daily routine to keep germs at bay. I am mostly focusing on my children for this post, although my husband and I do a variation of this.
First up, is focusing on what our body needs to thrive. We try to get fresh air daily, make sleep a priority and practice stress management. We eat a diet high in vegetables, fermented foods and low in sugar and processed foods. All of this helps our immune system and gut health thrive in an optimal state.
In addition, we do some supplementation. In full disclosure my husband thinks I’m crazy sometimes and you might also but it works for us and I’m grateful for a husband who is open minded and honors my desires.
A couple of things to keep in mind.
Most of these are not recommended until at least 2 years of age. Also, we don’t do this entire line up every day. Our typically schedule is Monday – Friday, skipping the weekend so my kids get a break. And we only do this extensive list in the fall and winter months when germs are at their highest. Consider this a list of ideas if you aren’t ready to do it all.
Here goes – our go to daily winter preventative list.
- Vitamin D3K2
- Dose: typical dose is 1000 IUs per 25 pounds, but we double this November – March
- Why: lowers inflammation
- Bee propolis spray
- Dose 3-4 sprays once a day
- Why: anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, combats free radicals and full of antioxidants
- Dose: 1 teaspoon for kids daily
- Why: boosts immune system, anti-viral, fights swelling of respiratory passages, reduces mucous secretions
- Vitamin C
- Dose: 250-500 mg once a day
- Why: immune boosting, antioxidant
- Metagenics Ultra-Potent C has added lysine and glutathione which assist in fighting viruses
- Food based supplement option (Paleovalley): use code EMBRACEWELLNESS15 for 15% off
- Xlear nasal spray
- Dose: spray at night in each nare, followed by nose blowing; additionally will do right after an exposure to a sick person, if known
- Why: germs take 12-24 hours to colonize so if you rinse the nares daily, this will decrease likelihood of turning to illness; also includes grapefruit seed extract and xylitol that have germ fighting capabilities
- Essential oils
- On Guard is a great protective blend to start with. Apply to the bottom of the feet and diffuse throughout your house.
- Why: supports antioxidant defenses, immune and respiratory function
Additional supplement we are adding in this year:
- Dose: 1 vial per week
- Why: natural homeopathy medication that is believed to stimulate the immune system; theory ‘like cures like’
So you did it all and still got sick. That is okay!
Remember the frequency of illness would likely be more often and the duration of the individual illness would likely be longer if you weren’t taking precautionary steps.
So now what?
First up, rest.
Second, nutrition and hydration.
- Water, *bone broth, coconut water, herbal teas with lemon and ginger are great options for hydration. These can be drank as is, made into smoothies, popsicles or even jello by adding some gelatin.
- Easily digestible foods like soups full of detoxing veggies and *bone broth.
- Keep up fermented foods if can tolerate.
- Continue to avoid sugar and avoiding dairy will likely also be beneficial.
*use code EMBRACEWELLNESS for 10% off
**If bone broth and fermented foods are foreign words to you, these are great for your gut and overall health. Consider checking out my BEST Life Program Guide or Gut Health Reboot Program where I dive deeper into these topics, among other things.
Third, support symptoms.
- Xlear nasal spray, multiple times daily
- Bee propolis spray , up to five times daily
- Elderberry 1- 2 teaspoons every 2-4 hours while symptomatic
- Consider adding in homeopathic medicines. They have a great symptom guide to help direct your decision.
If flu like symptoms
- Cool bath with epsom salts, peppermint and lavender essential oils
- Cool wet rags on forehead (can add essential oils to this as well)
- Light clothing
- Oscillococcinum: 1 vial 3 times over first 24 hours
If cold symptoms
- Umcka Coldcare Syrup
- Apply chest rub if congested
- Fill a 4 oz mason jar with 40 drops cypress essential oil, 35 drops orange essential oil, 25 drops cedar wood essential oil and coconut oil. Stir to combine.
- If a cough, try honey or spoonful of this simple cough syrup recipe if they will tolerate
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 teaspoons honey
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- 3 drops lemon essential oil
I, always, always, always recommend choosing good quality supplement brands. The supplement market is saturated and most of what you can buy at stores are cheap, poorly absorbed, filled with additives and fillers and risk not actually being what is even promoted on the label. I prefer practitioner grade supplements, as they are often more regulated. I have an online dispensary I work with called Fullscript. You can sign up for free and get the supplements shipped directly to your house (often with free shipping).
Make sure to call your doctor, if
- Under 3 months
- Fever more than 3 days
- Has had a seizure
- Compromised immune system
- Difficulty breathing
- No urination for more that 6-8 hours
- Is vomiting and can’t keep fluids down
- Refuses to drink
- Unusual sleepiness, fussiness, or touching chin to chest
- Difficult to arouse
- Acting confused
- Pain in back of neck when touching chin to chest
- Improving symptoms with sudden worsening or new fever
GIVEAWAY!! – NOW CLOSED
In hopes of getting you started on this holistic mindset for managing winter illness I am giving away a few of these products!
How to enter:
- Head over to my Instagram page and like it.
- Then find this post and comment, tagging two friends.
- Additional entry can be obtained by signing up for my newsletter starting today (December 18 2018 thru December 28 2018 at 0900).
- The giveaway will end on Friday, December 28 2018 at 0900.
What you get (valued at $60):
- One bottle of Mindfully Made’s Elderberry
- One bottle of Xlear Nasal Spray
- One bottle of BeeKeepers Natural Propolis Spray
- Bonus: Mindfully Made’s new chai tea, which is full of immune boosting ingredients like elderberry, astragalus root, and reishi mushroom
**Some of these links may be affiliate links. Embrace Wellness LLC is a participant in various affiliate programs designed to provide a means to earn advertising fees by linking to products they trust and recommend. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same and in some cases less, but Embrace Wellness may receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us maintain this work!